Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Airfix Treasures

Three 24 figure units of Germans, two guns, three MGs and a Commander...a basic beginning to wargame force!
One of the unsung charms of "breaking old school" is the possibility of resurrecting older figures and putting them to use again. I was doing some garage cleaning this afternoon and found a couple of cool treasures of the Airfix kind. I found a box of Airfix WWI figures Germans and some British 18lbrs (I think Emhar?) that I had painted 15 years ago. I also found a big bag of French Foreign legion that can do service as Early WWI French as well as some early war British in peaked  hats. So I think I may try to paint up the rest and see what I can put together by way of a Featherstone style game.  If you look closely in the fist pic towards the back of the box I have some German 77mm field guns scratchbuilt using Airfix ACW guns.
Plastic prep: ready for the soap bath!
I also found a bag of Airfix ACW artillery that I needed to rekindle a big box of classic Airfix ACW. I got all this stuff at a convention at least 11 years ago(...how time slips by...) 

I was thinking I might just base them up to recreate the two small ACW forces seen in the example battle in Don Featherstone's "Battles With Model Soldiers" I'm missing cavalry but I can maybe find some on ebay.

6 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

Far out! One of those serendipitous finds that really makes your day! Whatever else one thinks of those Airfix cannon (3" Rodmans), they are sure versatile. A bit of ball pen reservoir (emptied) slit longitudinally and wrapped around the breach makes an acceptable 10pr Parrott, or a length of the reservoir would make a 12pr Napoleon or 24pr S/B Howitzer. I also use the trails for rifled pieces of my Ruberian and Azurian armies of the late 19th Century.

Now: if I had a good enough Pic and/or plan of a mitrailleuse (my Ruberians have Gatlings)...

I can see that trove leading to all kinds of exciting military adventures...
Cheers,
Ion

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Always fun to find and revive something at just the right moment. Those are Airfix RHA 18pdrs btw, still available .

Shouldn't be hard to find the old 7th Cav if you want to be pure.

tradgardmastare said...

Wonderful finds!
I 'm trying to resist buying some Airfix 1/72 reissues at the local model shop.I know its not the same as finding old stuff but there it is...

Anonymous said...

I have been buying the WW1 reissued figures for about a year now...great minds think alike!

Rodger said...

That is a great find. I still have a soft spot for the old Airfix chaps.

Mark Dudley said...

I did the very same conversion of an ACW gun to a German 77.

I got the plans from an old article in Miniature Warfare - still got the magazine.

I plan to do quiet a bit of Great War gaming starting 2014

Cheers